5.02.2013

National Prayer Day

Earlier today I saw a group of people out in front of my government building with hands joined and heads bowed. Turns out it was National Prayer Day. Who knew? I guess I didn't get the memo, though it did put me in mind of this quote from the brilliant Ambrose Bierce in The Devil's Dictionary:
“PRAY, v. To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy.”
I have my fingers crossed in fervent hope that those who supplicated themselves to a fairy tale creation have all their wishes come true. Personally, I'd be satisfied if the invisible old man in the sky just stopped giving little kids cancer, or making orphans, or letting things like this happen, or this, or this or this or this or this. What gives God?

No comments:

Post a Comment