7.12.2012

Chatterbox with an explanation

I'm a bit of a chatterbox on the Ultimate field, and occasionally my jabbering will devolve into senseless raving or -- heaven forbid -- cursing in either frustration or elation. My nickname in my playing days, for Pete's sake, was The Hornet. As in, "mad as a..."

It's never been much of a problem (for me anyway), though I don't know how many times I've offered advice to other players with the caveat, "I'm not yelling at you, I'm encouraging you!" 

This all came to a head, as I believe I've shared here previously, when a woman approached me after one of our games recently and offered me a Billy Graham pamphlet so I could "learn about the real Jesus." What? The? Hell? 

It was with that thought in mind that, during pre-season introductions at our 2012 Ultimate Summer League, when asked to introduce myself and say a brief something-something, I offered: 
"My name is Jim and I have Tourette's syndrome; don't let it bother you."

No comments:

Post a Comment