3.14.2011

Uphill Battle in Some Circles for Unions

I was out at lunch time and passed by a City guy picking up trash along the sidewalk with a litter stick and a bucket. “Hey, you work for the City?” I asked him.

“Yeah.”

“Well,” I said, “I just want to let you know there’s a pro-union rally tomorrow at 5:15 over there at the Government Center.”

“Oh….well…” He hesitated. “You know, I’m in the union, but some of the things the union does I don't really support all that much.”

“We can’t always agree on everything,” I said, “but I’m sure you know we need to show a united front. I mean, they’re trying to break us.”

“Hey I was in the Carpenters Union for 32 years. I get paid for this job, plus I get my carpenter’s pension. My health insurance is only about $300 a month. But do you realize those carpenters are getting 41-42-bucks an hour these days? That’s just outrageous.”

“So the union took care of you but now you’re not sure if you can support the union?”

“Well, when the city’s broke something’s gotta give.”

“But those things have to be negotiated at the bargaining table. Management would just as soon get rid of collective bargaining. We have to stop that from happening.”

“Oh yeah, I agree we still need collective bargaining. But one thing I really hate is the way the union supports Democrats.”

“Okay. Well I hope to see you at the rally tomorrow.”

“Yeah…probably not.”

Let me paint a picture for you: This guy walks around all day in the bright sunshine, in the Happiest Place on Earth, checking out the pretty college girls while picking up trash litter cigarette butts and candy bar wrappers, all the while collecting what amounts to two incomes, both of them thanks to a union, but he can’t be bothered to show up for 30 minutes to support his union brothers and sisters.

What an ungrateful, double-dipping bastard.

No comments:

Post a Comment