9.24.2010

"These Are Not the Lean Times."

A commenter at Talking Points Memo spells out the inevitable result of the cowardly and faint-hearted political leadership of the Democratic-controlled 111th Congress...:
"I'm one of those folks who have decided to walk away. I've been involved in Democratic party politics for over 40 years. I worked in DC as a staffer for Mo Udall in the early 1970's. I even ran for the US Senate. ...

"But I have to laugh at your comment about sticking through the lean times. These are not the lean times. The Democrats haven't controlled Congress and the White House since 1994. We waited 14 years. The Democrats knew that the tax cuts would expire. They could have taken care of this in early 2009.

"I think this debate has shown that the Democrats are just as beholden to their rich benefactors as the Republicans. Their benefactors might be lots better on some issues. But to me, this was a very, very core issue. And the Democrats folded. There will now be continued attacks on Social Security and Medicare, and we have no defense.

"It's just that I have limited time and resources. Over the years, I've devoted much of my time and resources to the Democratic Party. I have decided to do something else now."

No comments:

Post a Comment